Mining and Preparation of Anthracite Coal - Mining Methods, extraction, tools, dynamite, miners of the Delaware and Lackawanna Coal Company - quality testing, transport and refining. High quality coal, more heat for less money (and coal).
Views: 1980 Discovering Pennsylvania
A speeder (also known as railway motor car, putt-putt, track-maintenance car, crew car, jigger, trike, quad, trolley or inspection car, and also known as a draisine (although that can also be unpowered) is a maintenance of way motorized vehicle formerly used on railroads around the world by track inspectors and work crews to move quickly to and from work sites. Although it is slow compared to a train or car, it is called speeder because it is faster than a human-powered vehicle such as a handcar. Motorized inspection cars date back to at least 1896, when it was reported that the U.S. Daimler Motor Company created a gasoline powered rail inspection car capable of 15 mph. In the 1990s, speeders were replaced with trucks (usually pickup trucks or sport utility vehicles) using flanged wheels that could be lowered for on-rail (called road-rail vehicles or hi-rails for highway-railroad). Check out their website at: http://www.ncraspeeders.org/
Views: 8579 Discovering Pennsylvania
Address & Phone Number are listed at the end of this video. Visitors have been coming to Lancaster County by traveling Route 30 for literally hundreds of years. But for over 50 years, a very special building has signaled their arrival in Amish Country. It’s been around long enough that folks tell their grandchildren about it. It has a claim on being the area’s oldest visitor landmark. Most importantly, it’s the “place that made shoo-fly pie famous.” That building is the landmark Dutch Haven windmill, with its revolving arms still beckoning travelers to stop and come inside. With a history that goes back to the very beginnings of tourism in the county, the building is rich in memories both for visitors and for local residents. One local who has a warm place in her heart for Dutch Haven is Lois Schrock, who has worked at Dutch Haven for many years. Lois and her husband were well-known to locals and to visitors as the originators and former operators of the Red Caboose Motel and Mill Bridge Village. She talks about Dutch Haven as she would a relative of the family. And she is glad that the structure has been preserved, and that those famous shoo-fly pies are still being made and sold there. Dutch Haven opened, without the windmill, in the early 1920’s. At that time, it was a small luncheonette, and continued to operate as such when the new owner, Roy Weaver, purchased it in 1946, and Dutch Haven’s life as a full service restaurant officially began. The fame of the restaurant grew with his wife’s delicious shoo-fly pies, an unusual dessert that was new to most people who stopped by to eat. Indeed, shoo-fly pies were virtually unknown until Dutch Haven opened and served the pies warm, topped with whipped cream. Meanwhile, Roy topped the building itself with its famous landmark windmill. Tourism first started to grow in Lancaster in the 1940’s, and since many visitors came from New York, New Jersey, and Philadelphia, they drove right by Dutch Haven, and stopped in to have some of the legendary pie. And who knows? Maybe Doris Day or Dinah Shore had even stopped by prior to their recording of the song “Shoo-Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy,” a song also recorded by Stan Kenton and Guy Lombardo. As tourism traffic increased, so did the restaurant, with buses paying visits into the 1970’s. The restaurant menu featured such items as the “Distleburger,” named after the “distlefink,” the Pennsylvania Dutch bird which is a symbol of good luck. Of course, there was also chicken corn soup, sauerkraut, “bot boi” (pot pie), pork BBQ, lettuce with warm bacon dressing, and perhaps the favorite dish on the menu --- Amish-style turkey filling. The gooey shoo-fly pie was still “the thing,” says Lois, and the dessert was even mentioned in a TIME magazine article. The menu encouraged diners to “Take one for yourself or send one to someone nice.” But then business started to decline, and so did the property. Saving it from an uncertain future, it was purchased by the current owner, Paul Stahl. By 1993, the interior had become a craft cooperative. Even though the restaurant no longer operated, the shoo-fly pies that were the key to Dutch Haven’s fame were still being made with the same famous recipe. At that point, Lois gladly returned to work at Dutch Haven. “My interest was to help to do whatever needed to be done to get it up and going again. I am grateful to Paul for buying the property because of my interest in the history, the building, and the place.” Gradually, the store expanded to what it is today, specializing in Amish furniture and over 10,000 unique gift items and collectibles. Fortunately, the walls on the inside of the windmill still contain many of the original decorations and paintings from the “old days.” The paintings were by an artist named Vince DeHaven, his last name being an odd coincidence to say the least! Other reminders of Dutch Haven’s past remain as well, including the old mailbox painted with Pennsylvania Dutch designs. You’ll also see the big barrel, informing visitors that “genuine Amish style root beer” is available. Now filling what were once restaurant dining areas, are rooms bursting with over 10,000 items. You'll find one of the best selections of primitive Amish pine furniture --- corner cupboards, pie safes, chests, and shelves are all available. Gift and decorating items range from Amish woodcraft's to jams and jellies, potholders to copper crafts, and T-shirts to stunning pottery.
Views: 1776 Discovering Pennsylvania
Austin Dam was a dam in the Freeman Run Valley, Potter County, Pennsylvania, which serviced the Bayless Pulp & Paper Mill. A failure of the dam in 1911 caused significant destruction in the valley below, killing 78 people. This video shows the dam now and then, includes photos of the dam and Bayless Pulp & Paper Mill.
Views: 3117 Discovering Pennsylvania
The Tunnelview tale begins with the Pennsylvania Mainline Canal. A 900' portion of canal visible at the site was part of the canal's Western division. The route extended from Pittsburgh to Johnstown, where the Allegheny Portage Railroad began. Once over the Alleghenies, passengers continued their trip to Harrisburg and Philadelphia. . Constructing the canal through the rugged terrain of the Alleghenies was a monumental undertaking. Faced with steep terrain and a sharp bend in the Conemaugh River, engineer Alonzo Livermore routed the canal through Bow Ridge, the narrow strip of land within the riverbend. Once through the tunnel, the canal continued over a stone arch aqueduct across the river. This was the only site on the canal with an aqueduct and tunnel next to one another. The Western division of the canal operated until 1852, when maintenance problems, financial insolvency, and competition from the railroads brought an end to the brief canal era in Pennsylvania. The canal tunnel was sealed off as part of the Conemaugh flood control project in 1952. . By 1864, the Pennsylvania Railroad had constructed a new tunnel and stone arch bridge here for its subsidiary, the North West Railroad. The PRR completed construction of another tunnel here in 1907, when the railroad was realigned. This realignment required the construction of a stone arch bridge which still stands. The bridge withstood the 1936 Johnstown Flood. A sign on the stone arch bridge shows the high water mark. In 1952 the PRR realigned its trackage again, and constructed the high level iron bridge standing today. Today the bridge carries trains of the Norfolk Southern Railway. A fourth tunnel was constructed through Bow Ridge in 1989 to deliver water to a nearby hydroelectric power station.
Views: 1837 Discovering Pennsylvania
The Eckley Miners’ Village is located about 9 miles east of Hazleton, PA. It was built in 1854 by Sharpe, Leisinring, and Company (later the Sharpe, Weiss, and Company) which opened the Council Ridge Colliery. The coal land was leased from the Tench Coxe Estate in Philadelphia. The village was originally named Fillmore, after President Millard Fillmore, but was renamed Eckley in 1857, after the grandson of Tench Coxe. When the lease expired in 1875, the Coxe family operated or leased the colliery. The population of Eckley peaked at about 1,000 around 1870 and then declined as strip mining replaced underground mining. The residents reflected the waves of immigrants who came to work in the mines, Welsh, English, German, and Irish in the earlier years, and Eastern Europeans in later years. In 1969, the Huss Coal Company sold the town to the Anthracite Historical Site Museum, Inc. In 1971, it was deeded to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Today, it is administered by The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Eckley is open to the public year-round. Through preservation and restoration efforts, the Village seeks to portray the way-of-life of the anthracite coal miners and their families in the 19th Century.
Views: 1103 Discovering Pennsylvania
Blue Coal's Huber Breaker was a landmark located in the borough of Ashley, Hanover Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, USA. The breaker was built in 1939 to replace the Maxwell Breaker which was located at the colliery. Run-of-mine coal arriving at the breaker was washed and cleaned to remove impurities, principally slate. It was crushed and screened to specific sizes desired by customers. Considered an ultra-modern plant when constructed, it used Menzies Cones to separate coal from waste. The breaker was operated by the Blue Coal Corporation, a subsidiary of the Glen Alden Coal Company. It processed 7,000 tons of Anthracite coal per day. The final product was sprayed with a blue dye and sold as “Blue Coal.” Railcars were loaded underneath the breaker and shipped to markets. The long decline of the anthracite industry after World War II caused Blue Coal to declare bankruptcy and cease operations in 1976. Fate of the Huber Breaker The Huber Breaker Preservation Society lost its bid to purchase the breaker and 8 acres of land for $25,000 in a final attempt to save the landmark. A Philadelphia salvage dealer named Paselo Logistics LLC. bid $1.28 million for the breaker and 26.58 acres of land in August 2013 and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court approved the sale. The demolition of the breaker started January 24, 2014. In September 2005, Scranton based Kanton Realty estimated the 900 tons of steel in the breaker had a scrap value of $85,000. Demolition started on the breaker's outbuildings in the week of January 24, 2014. According to the new owner's attorney, Jonathan Comitz, the main breaker building will not be demolished until spring 2014. The Huber Breaker's main building was demolished on April 24, 2014. The last structure of the colliery, the powerhouse, was demolished in August 2014. The issue of whether asbestos was properly handled during demolition is still generating controversy among Ashley residents, Ashley Borough, and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection.
Views: 892 Discovering Pennsylvania
Conrad Weiser (November 2, 1696 – July 13, 1760), born Johann Conrad Weiser, Jr., was a Pennsylvania German (a.k.a., Pennsylvania Dutch) pioneer, interpreter and effective diplomat between the Pennsylvania Colony and Native Americans. He was a farmer, soldier, monk, tanner and judge. He contributed as an emissary in councils between Native Americans and the colonies, especially Pennsylvania, during the 18th century's tensions of the French and Indian War (Seven Years' War). Conrad Weiser Homestead 28 Weiser Lane - Womelsdorf, PA 19567 610-589-2934 More information on Conrad Weiser is in this video slideshow presentation. Visit our website at.www.discoveringpennsylvania.com Facebook at: www.facebook.com/DiscoveringPennsylvania1
Views: 698 Discovering Pennsylvania
The actual birthday of the Millersburg Ferry is not known. When Daniel Miller founded Millersburg in 1807, he reserved the shad fishery and ferry rights to himself. An unsigned agreement dated 1817 tells us that George Carson, from Upper Paxton Township and Michael Crow from (then) Cumberland County, were negotiating for the use of Crow's land as a ferry landing. In 1820, Michael Crow was assessed for a farm, sawmill and ferry. Then in 1826, a sheriff's sale transferred Daniel Miller's proprietary reserve and ferry right to David Kramer, who did establish a ferry at Millersburg. From David Kramer, the ferry passed to his sons, George and Joseph. In the 1870's Joseph Johnson purchased it and resold it to John Freck, who in turn sold it to Ramsey Moyer in the 1880's. In 1890, Levi McConnell bought the ferry. Levi and his brother Richard had been operating another ferry in competition so this purchase combined the two operations. Richard McConnell's interest was sold to H. M. Hain in 1896 and then to Annie Miller and Pierce McConnell in 1898. Annie sold her share to Pierce in 1900 who sold it to John Travitz in 1904. In 1902 Levi McConnell sold his interest to George Seiler until 1906 when Warren Hunter purchased it. John Travitz sold his interest to Thomas Radel I in 1907. The ferry stayed in the families of Hunter and Radel until 1968 when it was sold to Bud and Robert Wallis and Jim Zeiders. In 1972 Robert Wallis became the sole owner of the Millersburg Ferry. In 1990, Community Banks, N.A. of Millersburg purchased the ferry from Robert Wallis and gave it to the Millersburg Area Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber then formed the Millersburg Ferry Boat Association, a board of nine members from various community organizations, who oversee the seasonal operation of the boats while preserving this historical value for future generations.
Views: 925 Discovering Pennsylvania
Flown exclusively by the Airmen of the 193rd Special Operations Wing, Middletown, Pa., this EC-130E "Commando Solo" is a one-of-a-kind aircraft in many ways. Conducting the U.S. Military's only airborne psychological operations mission, this aircraft and her crew acted in times of peace and war as a flying broadcast studio by sending messages on standard radio and television frequencies. Beginning its service in 1963 and delivered to the Pennsylvania Air National Guard in 1979, this aircraft served as a faithful workhorse in carrying out its unique mission for nearly three decades. Its last operational sortie in January 2006 followed service in Operation IRAQI FREEDOM. Its final flight brought it to Muir Army Airfield in August 2006, the largest aircraft ever to land at Fort Indiantown Gap at the time. Affectionately nicknamed "Triple Cripple" by the airmen who worked on Aircraft No. 7773, it is remarkably the only remaining example of its kind. Crew: Four Officers, eight enlisted Cruising Speed: 299 mph Max Speed: 374 mph Cruising Range: 2,100 miles Ceiling: 20,000 feet Engine: Four Allison T56-A-15 Turboprops Length: 100.50 feet Height: 38.50 feet Wingspan: 132.60 feet Unit Cost: $70,000,000 NOTE: This aircraft is on loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force to the Pennsylvania National Guard.
Views: 971 Discovering Pennsylvania
Enjoy an all around look at the Tunkhannock Bridge, in Nicholson, PA. Then at 9:25 A hair raising climb down the steel ladder on the outside of the top of the bridge, nearly 300 feet from the ground below, and go inside the bridges pillars. Not for the faint hearted. WARNING: The following video features climbing performed by a professional and under the supervision of professionals. Discovering Pennsylvania and www.discoveringpennsylvania.com must insist that no one attempt to try, re-create or re-enact any activity performed in this video.
Views: 235 Discovering Pennsylvania
Full description is in the video.
Views: 494 Discovering Pennsylvania
The Gruber Wagon Works survives as one of the most complete examples of an integrated rural manufactory of its kind in the nation. Erected in 1882 by Franklin H. Gruber, the wagon works evolved from a single craftsman shop, having a variety of specialized hand tools, into a family-operated business which employed up to 20 men who utilized mass-production methods. Unlike a modern assembly process, wagon parts were transported back and forth between various rooms in order to complete a segment of the work. Wagon wheels were constructed in the bench shop, and wooden parts of the wagon were made from patterns in the wood shop. Wheels were "tired" and wagons were "ironed" and assembled in the blacksmith shop. The distinctive striping and scrollwork were applied by hand in the paint shop. Gruber Wagon Works is a historic building currently in Bern Township, Pennsylvania. Franklin H. Gruber, who had been making farm-use wagons since the 1870s, constructed the wagon works in 1882. The business continued operating under the family's ownership, expanding to wagon repair and other manufacturing to adapt to changing demand, until it closed in 1971. Unfortunately, the building's original site on the Licking Creek in Pleasant Valley fell within the planned area of Blue Marsh Lake, so it was bought by the Army Corps of Engineers and during the winter of 1976–1977 they relocated it 5 miles (8 km) east to its present location. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1977. It is located on Red Covered Bridge Road in Tulpehocken Creek Park, in vicinity of Reading. Gruber Wagon Works is now part of the Berks County Heritage Center, an open air complex that also includes the C. Howard Hiester Canal Center with exhibits about canal transportation, Wertz's Covered Bridge, Melcher's Grist Mill, Deppen Cemetery, several memorials and gardens. The Center is open seasonally and offers tours of the historic buildings. During the winter of 1976-77, the Gruber Wagon Works was moved by the Army Corps of Engineers from its original location near Mt. Pleasant. In 1978, the Gruber Wagon Works was designated as a National Historical Landmark by the United States Government, commemorating its historic significance as an industry from a bygone era of American craftsman. Directions: http://www.co.berks.pa.us/Dept/Parks/Pages/HeritageCenterDirections.aspx
Views: 557 Discovering Pennsylvania
EPCAMR - Cleaning Mine Water Formed in 1995 by concerned conservation districts, EPCAMR represents a coalition of watershed organizations and reclamation partners. Members range from individuals, to the active anthracite mining industry and co-generation power plants, to non-profit organizations, 16 county conservation districts and other organizations in the anthracite and bituminous coal region of eastern Pennsylvania that are involved with abandoned mine reclamation issues. Counties covered by EPCAMR in North-Eastern and North-Central, PA include: Tioga, Bradford, Susquehanna, Lycoming, Sullivan, Wyoming, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Northumberland, Carbon, Schuylkill, Columbia, Lebanon, Dauphin, Montour, and Wayne. As of the last census (2010), the population we serve equates to approximately 1 million people (938,530). EPCAMR is a non-profit, non-government, non-partisan organization dedicated to: Reducing health and safety hazards, eliminating soil erosion, improving water quality and endorsing the reclamation of abandoned mine lands to productive uses in the region, there by improving the economy. Promoting the spirit of cooperation among all parties with an interest in resolving abandoned mine drainage / abandoned mine land problems Serving as a liaison among the various governmental agencies (federal, state, and local), watershed associations, industry, and conservationists with a common goal of abandoned mine reclamation Encouraging the remining and reclamation of lands, streams, and resources impacted by mining Educating, informing, and involving the public with mine drainage and mine reclamation issues Seeking and acquiring available sources of funding for restoration, reclamation, education and assessment projects Providing assistance in developing watershed associations and coalitions interested in abandoned mine reclamation issues Volunteers and Supporters are always needed, for more information, visit their website at: www.epcamr.org
Views: 192 Discovering Pennsylvania
The Musselman/Vesta Furnace was built in 1868 by Henry Musselman from Marietta and Henry Miller Watts. It was the last of eight anthracite-fired hot blast iron furnaces to be built on the river floodplain between Columbia and Marietta and the last complete blast furnace to be constructed in Lancaster County.
Views: 84 Discovering Pennsylvania
In 1962, a fire started in a mine beneath the town and ultimately led to the town of Centralia, Pennsylvania being almost entirely abandoned. This video is of a section of route 61, that was closed due to the underground coal fire causing it to buckle. Later the highway began to split, sink and buckle more. Read more and see more photos, on our website at: http://www.discoveringpennsylvania.com/centralia.php
Views: 390 Discovering Pennsylvania
Like Us On Facebook At: https://www.facebook.com/DiscoveringPennsylvania Visit Our Website At: www.discoveringpennsylvania.com Fort Hunter’s Covered Bridge was originally built around 1881 to span Little Buffalo Creek in Oliver Township, Perry County and was known as the Everhart Covered Bridge. When Mrs. Margaret Wister Meigs, the preserver of Fort Hunter, heard of its planned replacement by the Highway Department in 1941 she simply bought the bridge to save it. She had it dismantled and placed on the front lawn of the Mansion as a park attraction, where it sat for forty years. By 1980 the bridge had deteriorated. It was dismantled and placed in storage. When the gift of the park was made in 1980, it was understood by all parties that all of the historic structures would eventually be restored, including the covered bridge. In 2006 after years of planning, the bridge was recreated and located on the northeastern edge of the park. The original elements proved invaluable in recreating the current bridge.
Views: 76 Discovering Pennsylvania
Video and Still Photos of a beautiful sunset my wife and I captured at Breezy View Overlook. On the southwest edge of the park is an area known as Breezy View, a location that offers a panoramic view of Chickies Rock and the Susquehanna River. Breezy View Gazebo makes a perfect place for weddings and special occasions. Furnace Road Day-Use Area In the northwest section of the park, a day-use area at Furnace Road offers open play areas and a boat-launch point onto the Susquehanna River. About the Northwest Lancaster County River Trail This trail is a fourteen-mile, multi-use, public recreation trail adjacent to the Susquehanna River. The trail spans five municipalities, a portion of which runs through Chickies Rock County Park. Located between the boroughs of Columbia and Marietta, Chickies Rock County Park is the county's second largest regional park. The county commissioners began acquiring this park property in 1977; as of 1997, the park exceeded 422 acres. Chickies Rock County Park's name is derived from the American Indian word Chiquesalunga meaning "place of the crayfish." The park includes Chiques Creek, Donegal Creek, and selected points to the Susquehanna River. With its numerous vistas, varied natural and geological features, and rich industrial heritage, Chickies Rock County Park is a wonderful place to visit. View the park map to see all the different areas of the park. The park is managed predominantly for its natural resources. A trail runs through the area of Kerbaugh Lake, a reclaimed woodland and natural meadow between Chickies Hill and the river. Chickies Rock The most notable feature in the park is Chickies Rock, a massive outcropping of quartzite rock towering 100 feet above the river. The vista offers impressive views of York county, the borough of Marietta, and farmlands of northwestern Lancaster County. Chickies Rock County Park is also a collection of historical treasures. The area once boasted seven iron furnaces and rolling mills, a canal and a local trolley line. Remnants of several furnaces, canal walls, and trolley-line grades are still visible.
Views: 187 Discovering Pennsylvania
While driving the Lincoln Highway, about 4.5 miles west of Bedford, Pa, we noticed old gas pumps and gasoline signs along the highway, so we stopped to check them out and take some photos. As we were taking photos, a man came out to greet us. He introduced himself, Ron Miller, and invited us inside a small building. When we stepped inside, we were surrounded by old radios and a few old televisions. This was awesome! I asked Ron if it was okay to take photos and video. He said, "Absolutely!" As the video cameras were running, Ron showed several of the radios and a couple of televisions and explaining them to us. Later, Ron told us about how he began collecting old radios and TV's. We then went over to his work shop where he told us a wonderful story of how he survived cancer and open heart surgery. This was a touching story. All of this and more is in this video. Click play and enjoy a wonderful visit to Rons Antique Radio Museum.
Views: 561 Discovering Pennsylvania
The Colemanville Covered Bridge, also referred to as the Martic Forge Covered Bridge and Pequea #12 Bridge, is a covered bridge that spans Pequea Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. After Hunsecker's Mill Covered Bridge. The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted red with white trim. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-26. In 1980 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places as structure number 80003534. Originally built by James C. Carpenter in 1856 for $2244. It was partially rebuilt by Edmund Gardner in 1938 and in 1973 by David Esh after flood damage. The county completely rebuilt it in 1992 several feet west of the original site and raised it 6 ft. to avoid future flood damage (cost: $350,000). At 170 ft. it is the county’s second longest single-span covered bridge still in use. Location: 1/4 mile south of Highway 324 on Fox Hollow Road in Martic Township. The bridge is located on Fox Hollow Road just south of Pennsylvania route 324 in Martic Township, Pennsylvania.
Views: 142 Discovering Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania has numerous interesting activities and places to see. The Falmouth Goat Races is one of the must see, things to do in Pennsylvania. There are all kinds of races, from people to vehicles but this kind of racing is a Pennsylvania born race and has been taking place at Falmouth for over 30 years. Highlights of the 2015 Falmouth Goat Races. Held every year on the last Saturday of September in Falmouth, PA.
Views: 382 Discovering Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania is a beautiful state with 67 counties and has some of the oldest history in the Country. Many firsts have been achieved here, and there are numerous places to see and things to do here. We began this website in May of 2015. We are never at a loss for places to see in Pennsylvania and every month, we go out on a road trip to Discover new places. We obtain information on the location, take photos and sometimes video. Then we post it here on the website. We especially love visiting the less common attractions and places.
Views: 60 Discovering Pennsylvania
In 1976, this lift lock, No. 47 E., received restoration efforts including stonework realignment and installation of four new yellow pine mitre gates. When the canal was in operation (1827-1884) the locktender's home would have been located on the land between the hill and the lock. Some of the men who lived in this locktender's home were Edwin Ball, Jacob Grubb, William Adies, Samuel Werner, and John Moyer. Their job assignments included operation and maintenance of this lock. Locktenders' salaries ranged from a maximum of $10.00 a month to a low of $1.00 a month, which they received in the later days of operation of the Union Canal. Berks County Heritage Center http://www.co.berks.pa.us/Dept/Parks/Pages/HeritageCenter.aspx Read about the Union Canal here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Canal_%28Pennsylvania%29
Views: 146 Discovering Pennsylvania
Amish Buggy Crossing Enslow Bridge In Perry County
Views: 80 Discovering Pennsylvania
This covered bridge is a nice stop for the entire family. There is a farm in the back with Alpacas, ponies, horses, sheep and donkeys. There are ducks that live on the little stream here as well. The Willow Hill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge located off U.S. Route 30 that spans Miller’s Run (which flows into Mill Creek, a tributary of the Conestoga River) in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. It was built in 1962 by Roy Zimmerman as a reconstruction using parts of the Miller's Farm Covered Bridge, built in 1871 by Elias McMellen, and Good's Fording Covered Bridge, built in 1855. It crosses Mill Creek and is 93 feet long and 15 feet wide. The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on the outside. The inside is unpainted. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-43. Because it was constructed from two historic covered bridges, it is not listed on the National Register of Historic Places like most of the other covered bridges in the county. It is located at 40°1'30?N 76°12'11.9?W. Dimensions Length: 93 feet total length Width: 15 feet total width
Views: 36 Discovering Pennsylvania
Video by Frank Halerz, thank you Frank. Information and photos on the Gallitzen Tunnels can be found here: http://www.discoveringpennsylvania.com/the-gallitzin-tunnels.php
Views: 1587 Discovering Pennsylvania
In 1942, the U.S. Government took over about 8,500 acres of land in the area to house a TNT factory and storage facilities. The town was evacuated by eminent domain and the residents were promised that they would be able to buy back their land after WW-II was over. Turns out, that was a lie. Read the full story on Avira and see lots of photos on our website at: http://www.discoveringpennsylvania.com/alvira-bunkers-and-cemetery.php
Views: 1059 Discovering Pennsylvania